Kids

Kids

Tuesday 2 September 2014

What a month!

It has been a sad, happy, busy, messy, disturbing and distressing kind of month. So much has happened in such a short time that even now, it seems surreal. My paternal grandmother, who has lived with my parents for as long as I can remember, also passed away within a  month and a half of my maternal grandma passing on. A hardy 93 year old who had the stamina, enthusiasm and mojo of a 70-year old, she always used to claim that she would cross a century, a claim we had no trouble believing! She used to gently scoff at her many granddaughters who each had "only" 2 kids apiece, and was forever encouraging me to try for a third :)
My parents were under enormous stress; just as my mother was slowly coming to terms with her mother's illness and death, she had to play ministering angel to her mother-in-law and start the whole round of ICU/hospital visits along with my father. Fortunately, help arrived after a few tense days in the form of my uncle and aunt from abroad, who were able to provide the much-needed moral and physical support.
In the interim, my mom turned a year older, Advaith turned 9 (that was the happy part of the month!) and my father-in-law came down with pneumonia! S came back from the trip to the US and rushed the same day to Chennai to do his bit for his parents. We cancelled Ads' party for a more favourable date, probably sometime in the next week or 10 days.
Today, for the first time, there is some semblance of normalcy. The relatives have departed for their distant homes, f-i-l is recovering and school and work routines are back to normal. The four of us made use of the long weekend to take a long-awaited and much-postponed break in Kasaragod in Kerala (about which, travelogue coming up in a couple of days).
What a month it's been! I'm glad its over. Still can't believe the paatis are gone. It is going to take some time to properly sink in.

6 comments:

  1. Ouch! That does sound like quite a stressful month!
    Good to know things are getting better, and that you took some much-needed time off. Waiting for the travelogue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Aparna, my condolences to you and family!. I can imagine the void she must have left behind. When you mentioned the 10th day ceremony, I did wonder about it as I remembered reading about your granny (maternal one) more than a month back. Sorry about your loss.
    Waiting for the travelogue. I seem to miss my earlier mojo of penning down such details of my life, be it the mundane or the travel tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Uma...I noticed that u have been "writing" a lot more lately - I have been reading all, just not commenting! Sorry - too lazy :) But would be good to read about your last 2 recent trips.

      Delete
    2. :-) nice to know you've been reading, Aparna..will try to write about the trips too!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)