Kids

Kids

Monday 29 September 2014

A saree and Golu Edition 2014

Some days ago, I had the privilege and pleasure of draping a Kanjeevaram which I was told, is as old as I am. Cobalt blue with a shocking pink border, simplicity and sophistication itself. No unnecessary bootis, heavy zari or embellishments. Certainly not the ghastly kundan and brocade work that appear on so many Kanjeevarams today. Call me a purist, but I haven't found anything to like in the fusion. Leave some things well alone, I say. 
The saree was light as air and exquisitely easy to drape. The fact that it belonged to my grandmother made me value it so much more. I told my mom I was taking it for my own. But even as I was wearing it, it ripped in a couple of places. So now it is in safe storage until we can darn and make it stronger :)
So what was the occasion? Navarathri, of course! Once again this year, the Golu was a joint effort between my mom, me and Y. I didn't manage to graduate to 5 steps this year (next year for sure!) but we had a lot of fun setting up the stand, unwrapping the dolls and discussing their placement, and having Ads lay out his cricket set just so, while giving us a running commentary (no one was listening!) of each fielder's position.
The whole process made me nostalgic for Golus in the years gone by, though of course we have become more professional now :) The last week was hectic with lots of people coming in batches for vetthala -paaku/haldi kumkum. Between work, Golu visits and hosting people at home, I went a tad crazy. If it hadn't been such a busy time at work, taking a few days off would have been the sensible thing to do.
We head off to Guruvayoor and Athirapally for a couple of days later this week - looking forward to the mini-break!


7 comments:

  1. Try vazhachal falls near athirampally and elephant sanctuary in guruvayoor if time permits...elephant sanctuary isnt very fancy but if you have time it is not very far from temple...i hrd vazhachal falls is quite good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely golu as usual Aparna :). And I loved the tale of the saree, I know just what you mean about the lovely older ones being so lovely yet comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought only I felt like that - the older sarees are so much more comfortable to wear! :)

      Delete
    2. Yes they are so soft and carry so many memories as well!

      Delete
  3. That's one beautiful golu! :) We don't have one at our place, but I love seeing it at other people's homes. My aunt, who stays near us, keeps one every year. She has a huge collection of dolls, which it is always fun to see.

    Cobalt blue kanjeevaram silk with a shocking pink border sounds gorgeous! Would love to see a picture if possible.

    I so understand what you mean by not liking the fusion between modern and traditional in sarees. I can't digest that too. So, I am a purist in that sense too. I like my kanjeevarams simple and traditional as they come.

    BTW, I have a few precious silk sarees that have belonged to ma and patti. They are too fragile to wear, but gorgeous nonetheless. How do you darn and make them stronger? I don't want to relegate them to the back of my cupboard. As I said, they deserve to be worn!

    Did you visit the elephant sanctuary in Guruvayoor? It is one gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did visit the elephant sanctuary and the kids loved it. Post coming up!

      Delete
  4. Cutting oil Manufacturers Cutting oil is used to clean the different types of machines. Even though, it is made in various manufacturing industries, but in CNC oil making industry it is made by expert manufacturers in high quality and quantity.

    Rust Preventive oil Rust preventive oil is frequently used in large manufacturing industries for working with the different types of machines. CNC Lubricants offers unresolved protection as slashing oil for finished goods in steel mills.

    Gear oil Gear oil is of high quality and extremely pressurized oil which is made by the expert manufacturers of CNC lubricants. It is used under high load situations.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)