Kids

Kids

Thursday 2 August 2012

It takes a village.......

It really does.
I fondly remember my excellent support system in the US, which swung into action when I was in my first trimester with Y. Ads was barely two and a quarter years old and I was suffering from the most debilitating exhaustion and the most intense nausea. It was impossible to stay upright for more than a few minutes. All I could eat were a few crackers in the morning (if I didn’t throw those up). Staying vertical for the few minutes it took to microwave some oatmeal for Ads’ breakfast or some mac-and-cheese for his lunch was absolute torture. The poor darling took it in his stride. Amma wasn’t well and that was it. Racked by guilt and unable to manage on the limited support S was able to extend at that point, I sent out a desperate plea for help to my mommy friends. These were Belgian, French, British, Irish, Korean, Lebanese and quite a few others apart from native Californians who were in the moms club that I was a part of.
Within a few hours, pat came a phone call and email with a neat schedule of hot meals and playdates for Ads. Every couple of days, a friend and her kid or kids would land up with a meal (that would tide us over the next 2 days). They would whisk Ads away for a few hours of frolic while I got some much-needed rest. This continued for a month or so until I entered my second trimester and felt able to join the world again. I was able to return the favour not just once but many many times to the same women, when they had babies, fell sick, had an emergency etc etc. In a country where hired help is expensive and hard to find and family often is unavailable to help, I learnt to reach out and ask for assistance even from people I didn’t know that well.
From that time on, I understood the real meaning of the phrase “It takes a village to raise a child”. I have never since hesitated to ask for help in rearing my kids. Whether it is from the husband, parents and in-laws or friends, I have reached out many a time when I needed some childcare. Other than a few rare instances, when I asked, I did receive. Case in point – the recent collapse of the Northern Grid. On the first day, I didn’t even  realize something was amiss until I reached the office and was told that colleagues had not had power since 2 am (we have back-up in the flat and the news didn’t make the morning papers). On the way back home, I got stuck in the Metro. Frantic calls were made to a friend who volunteered to pick up Ads from the bus-stop and hold him till I arrived. The next day, it was the same situation all over again. I was at a meeting with my phone on silent mode when the guy we were meeting told us the grid had collapsed again. Oh no!! I quickly checked my phone, to find several messages from friends – Where are you? Metro’s stopped again- do you know? When will you get back? Do you want me to pick up Ads/Y?
I was beyond touched. Just then a friend/neighbour called to give me the latest news as shown on TV. All ended well - the trains resumed service and I rushed back home immediately. But it was very reassuring to know that even if I had got stuck somewhere, there were enough hands on board to keep my children safe.
We all need a good support system. Some have it handed to us on a platter – read handily-available parents/in-laws/relatives. Some of us have to create one from scratch. Many of us try to be supermoms without realizing that our energies would be better spent in trying to be better networked, more helpful to others in need, and most importantly, learning to ask for help!

17 comments:

  1. So agree with you Aparna, raising kids needs a village! And the first time I realised it was the ease with which I could leave my kids with my parents and go gallivanting for a while. Am glad you had a great support system in the US, do write more about how these moms clubs function. Seems like a formal support group! Would be nice to have something like that here! Though, unlike you, I hesitate to ask for help as I am unsure how people would react, though I have proffered help in a lot of situations. Another thing is I know a handful of people only and then there is this Indian vs local thing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chatty wren. If you google International MOMS club you will find the webpage. Its actually a registered non-profit, US-based. I don't think they have international chapters.
      I am sure it was much easier in the US than it would have been in europe for us. Americans are super-friendly! But do try and see if you can find some groups like that out there. How about using meetup.com?

      Delete
  2. Your last few lines are superb...for a person like me who has a ready,served-on-the-platter support system at home-MIL,has never felt the need of networking in this sense...but forget about needy times,in general too it is important to be close knit with friends and family around,to be there for each other in tough times!

    I appreciate your friends and thank god that such people exist :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scribby. Agree that in general too, it is important to be networked - offer and receive help and support!

      Delete
  3. Very nice post Aparna ..
    At my present phase in life, I have no kids to worry about .. But even then, this is one area I need to whack myself into improving .. Asking for help and networking.. I am usually very reluctant when it comes to asking for help from people .. I would convince myself with a hundred reasons why they would find it troublesome ..
    It was very heartening to read the instances you had quoted .. And yes, we all need to be available for people around us as much as we ask them to assist us ..
    This was a thought provoking post .. Sans support from people around, we cannot survive in any stage of life .. And we all need to extend our arm unconditionally to the people around us.. From 'Live and Let Live' we need to move ahead to 'Live and help others Live'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us are reluctant to ask for help, aarthy. But there's no other way. Even in a no-kid situation like yours, I think being networked really helps. Do whack yourself :)

      Delete
  4. I find it difficult to ask for help too! Like Aarthy said, I'll find a million ways to avoid asking for help as I feel I'd inconvenience the other person.
    So right about the support system. For someone who does not have a ready family support, I really need to break my reluctance and shell to reach out and widen my support network :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, do it :) I used to find it hard too, now it just comes naturally :)

      Delete
  5. a very -2 beautiful post Thanks Aparna
    (www.arunsblog.in)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been pretty bad at asking for help. Husband is even worse - even if I want to ask for help, he will dissuade me. But I do agree it takes a village to raise a child. At least in terms of moral support you need a few good people around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the US u need it even more. I had good experiences in that country. It helped that the Bay Area had so many expats and we all stuck together. Of course there were also so many desis around.

      Delete
  7. That's so sweet of your friends to help you out when you needed it the most!

    I suck at asking for help, apart from mom and hubby, sometimes my MIL. Got to learn to do that.

    I don't have a great support system here, so life does get a bit tough at times. As you say, maybe I need to build one from scratch.

    PS: I has been wanting to read a North India resident's first-hand experience of the power grid failure. We in the South are a little clueless about what all happened. This post of yours gives a glimpse into the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard for a lot of people who aren't lucky enough to have/afford expensive backup power, GND. My work colleagues went without power for 2 whole days.

      Delete
  8. So agree with you Aparna, raising kids needs a village

    Aruna Thammaneni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi aruna, welcome here and tks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)