Kids

Kids

Sunday 17 June 2012

Old Delhi again and the Jama Masjid

Exploring one's city as a tourist is always exciting and one of the important places that we had not yet visited in our Delhi explorations has been the Jama Masjid. Anything in Old Delhi is bound to be a challenge because Ads hates it and cannot understand why we would bother travelling on the Metro for an hour and back to traipse around in the crowds and filth. I agree - why do we???
However, the fascination that the history and architecture of the old city hold for us is not something they can be hoped to understand. So, now that the children are away, we thought we would do them a favour by visiting Jama Masjid in their absence!
With great enthusiasm, we were up at 5.30 am, on the train at 6.15 am and at our destination Metro station by 7.15. Those who have done it will agree that walking the streets of Old Delhi is quite an unforgettable experience. Narrow streets, telephone and electricity wires sagging carelessly and dangerously, houses with mysterious dark doorways and staircases, dingy hotels and lodges, dogs and pigeons, food hawkers, men selling "cool refrigerated water", and people people people everywhere. We saw two separate guys with SLRs placing their subjects in designated positions and composing their shots. One was photographing a pair of street sweepers (the human kind, not the mechanical kind) and the other one was trying to click candid shots of a street hawker.



And the, quite suddenly, we caught our first glimpse of the dome of the Jama Masjid. Built by Shahjahan between 1650 and 1656, it was yet another crowning architectural achievement for the emperor who also built the Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Agra's Moti Masjid and many other lesser known monuments.


The main facade.


The central courtyard holds upto 25000 people for prayers and one can imagine it doing so since it is simply massive!


The Red Fort as seen from Jama Masjid.


Pigeons everywhere, having a blast with the feed which is scattered all over the courtyard.


The mosque also has some relics of the Prophet Muhammad which we were unable to look at because we went too early and most of the staff hadn't yet arrived. One can go walk up the tower to the minaret and apparently the views of Delhi from there are simply fantastic. But since S could not climb those many stairs and they don't allow women to go up there alone, we could not do it. Yup -- that's the rule :( I doubt we could have been able to see much even if we had trudged up. At 8 am, the morning sun was intense and blinding!
We were back home by 9.30 am after the mandatory fried parathas and rabri ki lassi at Paranthewali Gali. So that's another one ticked off the Delhi to-do list - happy!

17 comments:

  1. Cool, I say!
    and what a contrast in the pictures. It's like illustrating the proverb, "No pain no gain" :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Uma. The place holds a fascination for me although it is crowded and FILTHY!

      Delete
  2. really nice one. I am so glad the kids are getting such a great exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How strange. Why aren't women allowed to go up alone?

    The mosque looks quite nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree that one must be a tourist in one's own city! I have just not seen Banganga in Bombay and I know so many people here from Belgium who have done that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I am from chennai and haven't been to fort st. george and so many other places!

      Delete
  5. I must say - looking at your own city from the eyes of a tourist is a wonderful experience :) :) I visited Delhi long ago :) :) I remember seeing Red Fort and all those places :) It was really a wonderful experience :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love DElhi Divya :) Glad u enjoyed your trip long ago :))

      Delete
  6. The first picture with all the intertwined wires reminds me of something but cannot exactly say what. Beautiful pics and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sumana. That pic reminds me of Calcutta!!

      Delete
  7. Ok don't ask me why i'm left with an impression of the paranthas :). Sounds like a fun early morning trip! I love how you've been exploring the heritage places locally, i'm so bad at planning that stuff.

    Blogger has been really irritating, managed to access this after about 10 tries over the last few days, sometimes not even able to get to my own blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apster, the parathas are outta this world......trust me! Blogger is beyond annoying....like u, I was also unable to access my own blog!!!

      Delete
    2. Phew got here at laaaast :).. Really have to get over my laziness and try to install a couple more browsers soon.

      Delete
    3. Good to see you here again :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like quite an experience!

    I visited Delhi for a very short while when the husband had work there. I explored a bit, but not enough to wade through the many layers that the city has.

    I couldn't visit Paranthewali Gali, though I had heard loads of recommendations for it. :( Well, next time...

    The mosque looks exactly like Humayun's tomb that I visited. Is it the same? :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blasphemy!! No the two buildings are entirely different :) I suppose you were puzzled because both are made out of the same red sandstone.
      Methinks u need to make another trip to Delhi to bruush up ur basics :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)