Kids

Kids

Wednesday 13 June 2012

Big cats and more big cats

I wrote about Ads' obsession with the big cats a few months ago. Since then, the interest has been very much alive and intensifying almost by the day. He now wants to legally change his name to Tiger. A couple of months ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to find him missing from the bed. I ran to the 'toy room' to find him moving around on all floors in the darkness. I thought he must have been sleepwalking (or sleep-crawling) but he was wide awake. He said "Amma, I am a tiger. Tigers hunt at night sometimes."
Leopards, lions, panthers, pumas, jaguars, caracals, mountain lions, cougars, lynxes, cheetahs, smilodons and many more obscure varieties of the big cat - S and I have learnt about these a lot more than we wanted to! I didn't realize how much I had absorbed until Ads was quizzing me one day, at a friend's place in Chennai.
Q: Name one member of the cat family which doesn't look like a cat.
A: Hyenas. Most people think they are cousins of dogs, but they actually belong to the cat family.
Q: Which is more powerful - the lion or the tiger?
A: Lions are faster and longer, but tigers are heavier, more muscular and used to solitary living and hunting. In a fight between lion and tiger, the tiger is more likely to win. In any case, Siberian tigers are the largest variety of tigers and can easily fell a fully-grown lion.
(This is actually a trick question since lions and tigers live in totally different habitats and are unlikely to be involved in a face-off. So the question is hypothetical and can be argued both ways)
Q: How long are the lion's claws?
A: Asiatic lion has 3" claws. Some African lions have claws that are upto 4" long. Bengal tigers have 4" retractable claws.
And so on and so forth.
My friend was like....Whoa...Aps...how do you know all this stuff?
Sigh. If she had to read about tigers morning, noon and night, from 10 different books, watched every show possible on NatGeo Wild and Animal Planet not to mention Animal Faceoff on Youtube, she would know all this stuff by heart too! 
It's not just Ads. I've met a couple of kids (both boys) who are experts on dinosaurs and polar bears. It does seem to be a boy thing to get obsessive and nerdy about some subjects, from a very early age - Be it cars or trucks, aeroplanes, spacecraft, tools or wild animals. Ads went through the truck and tools phase around the time he was 3 and 4 years old and now big cats.
This is the fact-sheet he has created on tigers. He's made one for the other big cats as well - lions, leopards, cheetahs and so on - but they are all in Chennai and I only have a photo of this one.




Not to be outdone, we had visited someone's place the other day in Chennai and the aunty there asked Y what her name was. Pat came the answer "Tigress!".

11 comments:

  1. wow! you and Ads sound like an encyclopedia. He should do a project for his school. It's good to see him channelize his passion/obsession by compiling his knowledge..very virgo-like :-)(only the crawling part gave me the creeps ;-)) You must be a proud mom!
    and I love Yukta..very smart retort, that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the crawling part was quite creepy!

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed this post! Oh my god - his sketch of the tiger is fabulous! The curve of the jaws, the paws...it has so much character. You should seriously put him in some art class or have him draw a lot at home.
    And my my what details...it is so good. I wish KB and him could meet up - they would be talking non stop about wild animals I think! But KB's favorite animal is the lion and KG's is the tiger. And they have a fight about this issue - which one is stronger fight.
    And Yukta - with that one word she just stole the show! Very smart retort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, noon. I'm still thinking about whether I should allow him to develop his own style or should I make him learn new techniques through art class.
      The thing is, he loves to draw only because he's passionate about the subjects (tigers and so on). I don't want him to be forced into landscapes and lose the love of drawing.

      Delete
  3. Wow.. thanks for the heads-up about one more 'boy' thing !! Ads seems to have lovely handwriting along with his drawing skills :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mommy has good handwriting too :)
      However my drawing skills - definitely he did not pick them up from me :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!! Admire Ads' knowledge of the big cats! :)

    That sketch is super cool.

    Awwww at 'Tigress'. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Its quite annoying in real life, you know...all this talk abt big cats thro'out the day...:(

      Delete
  5. I came across this blog because I have set up a Google alert for uses of the term "big cats" in the internet. I did that because I wrote a books for children called Big Cat, Little Kitty and I am very interested in big cats myself. If you like, you can show Ads my Big Cat, Little Kitty web site (blog): http://bigcatlittlekitty.blogspot.com/

    Smiles to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, I made so many mistakes in that comment! Please excuse. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot Scotti, for visiting and commenting :) I looked at your blog - its awesome and I am sure Ads will love it too!!
      Take care :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)