Kids

Kids

Thursday 22 May 2014

Y's summer of 2014

Where has the summer gone? Not that I'm complaining, mind! I have not been able to enjoy any part of the kids being home and it will be almost a relief to have them at school (take a lot of the guilt off me!). There have only been moments snatched here and there to play, read and talk with the kids and it has left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction. Sadly, we were not able to take any family time off this summer which just means I have to get my act together next year. 
And what have the kids been upto? Nothing much (which is as it should be). Y has had a free rein as both her dance and music teachers took a break for the summer. So other than talking nonstop (!) she has just been having a lot of fun with the unstructured days. Summer accomplishments have been a) Learning to skip. She worked really hard on it especially after she was gifted a bright purple skipping rope by me :) b) Learning to bike - super-fast and very confidently without training wheels. It had taken Ads just a half-hour to master this skill and Y was just the same. We did have our share of falls and tumbles including a couple of nasty scrapes but now she is a pro and I enjoy my occasional evening rides with her. c) Learning a ton of arithmetic skills. I am such a fan of the apps I can download on the ipad and credit them 100% in developing Y's reading and math skills. So interactive and so much fun! I've consciously scaled down on the reading now as I can see that she is going to be horribly bored in UKG this year. d) Learning to play quite a few card and board games including Connect4/Plot 4, Animal Rummy, Old Maid, Go Fish and UNO. So, all told, quite a fun summer for her, I think. I really really wish we could have spent much more time together!
Ads is an entirely different story and needs a dedicated post. No good stuff there, only lots and lots of challenges which I don't feel equipped to deal with :( 
Actually, I take back what I said about no good stuff - am sure I am being tested and this is a big character-building exercise for me :)

4 comments:

  1. We've missed out on summer this time, trying to make it up before school starts:) I've forgotten how to play Go Fish, and Animal Rummy and Old Maid are new names to me. Uno is one which the kids play a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the girls had some semblance of a summer vacation..school must've started by now.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a fun summer for Y :). And before I forget, please visit me and teach my kids to cycle :P.. I absolutely have no patience and I think they pick up on the cues and refuse to co-operate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I would love to...tho I am quite short on patience myself, aparna :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)