Kids

Kids

Monday 24 March 2014

Kiddisms #2

It's been a while since I blogged, and I don't know quite where to begin. It's fair to say we have all been so busy with our routines and with living life, so to speak, that writing about it and recording memories have had to fall by the wayside. Being up at 5 am to get ready for a hectic day and falling into bed exhausted at 10 pm does not an active blogger make!
But it's all good -- we are fast approaching the end of yet another school year. How times flies! Ads will go to 4th grade this year and will turn 9 in just a few months. Y will still be in kindergarten :) But she is going to have an extended day come June, so changes in store for her. My parents have settled in well and we have established a daily routine that pivots around the children's needs. I am loving my job and while the commute is still killing, I have been working a couple of days a week from home which makes it easier.
But enough of that. The kids have been cracking me up with their usual antics. Jotting down a few here lest I forget!
Advaith has now taken to wearing shirts instead of t-shirts, all buttoned up till the neck (a la Dev Anand). When we step out, he likes to wear jeans/trousers (no shorts), belt, socks and shoes (floaters? what are those?). I am his biggest irritant because I'm constantly trying to make him dress down. The other day, I pleaded with him to unbutton the collar button. His response? A roll of the eyes and "Amma, I am NOT a Hindi film hero!" He dislikes seeing people with their shirts unbuttoned all the way down displaying their macho chests :)
His major mania is "neating". Apparently our apartment looks like a pigsty. I am so offended especially as I've spent most of my life being accused of being too neat and tidy. He spends every spare minute obsessively tidying up the flat, plumping cushions and keeping slippers lined up in ramrod-straight lines :) The Virgo streak is more than apparent, along with the OCD-like behaviour that marks many of us. One of my friends told me the other day that Virgo women are quite nice but Virgo men can be insufferable and I am beginning to appreciate those wise words :(
He still hates the camera and is a little relieved that "Amma does not click many photos nowadays." Glad somebody noticed! I asked him "Am I the best mom?". Ok I know, kinda silly question but I had just come away from an awwww moment of Y telling me "Amma you are not a good mom........you are the BEST mom!"
Ads sighed. "Amma, if I was Yashas, then Chitra aunty (Yashas' mom) would be the best mom. And if I  was X then X's mom would be the best mom."
I persisted. So what are you saying, do you think I'm the best mom or not?
Silence and a LOOK which seemed to say - Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies!
That's my boy - my harshest critic and the Raja Harishchandra of this family - he gives it like it is! Between him and S, I can rest assured I will never suffer from an inflated ego!
Y on the other hand, is the one that signs off each night with a solicitous - "Amma, are you going to do some work? Don't strain yourself, ok? Go to bed soon!"

12 comments:

  1. LOL @ Raja Harishchandra and Dev Anand

    Y sounds so sensitive and kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she is....the other one is very interesting as well :)

      Delete
  2. LOL Y takes so good care of u.. Cute she is. Hey the critic has a style of his own too. Loved it the way you have described it. He knows his mommy is the best for him... So very cute, what more you need??? Wish them happy hols...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and happy hols to tiny and little as well!

      Delete
  3. ha ha, cute post! Loved the response to best mommy qn. And Y too, so cutely concerened about you. Nice to read about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww Advaith is growing up so fast!!! And y is being miss congeniality, i see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup and she also talks nineteen to the dozen now...but please...only Englisss!

      Delete
  5. ha ha. Both kids sound adorable and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entertaining - yes. Adorable - that depends.

      Delete

  6. Hi Aparna,

    Hope you are doing well :) Just wanted to share details about a campaign by Johnson's Baby called 'Share the Language of Love'. Since its based on a noble cause and you write on various aspects of parenting, thought that this may be of interest to you...

    Would be great if you can share your email id, so that I can write to you with more information about the campaign. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Thanks,
    Romil Zaveri
    The PRactice
    romil@the-practice.net

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)