Kids

Kids

Monday 13 January 2014

Singapore, Ads and me

Ads has heard a lot about Singapore from his friends and relatives. So he was excited to holiday there. He claims our recent holiday was the best one he’s ever had...ask him which place he liked more, Bali or Singapore, and there is no doubt in his mind. Singapore wins hands down. He said Bali is a place he’d like to visit but Singapore is where he would like to live! There goes my city kid :( 
His standard answer when people ask him what he did in Bali – temple temple beach restaurant, temple temple beach restaurant. Put that way, it doesn’t sound very appealing, does it? :))
Now, as for me...I admire Singapore. I don’t really like it. Don’t ask me why! But I will attempt a garbled answer. Reason #1 is probably that I can be a contrarian at times...if enough people tell me something is fabulous, you can be sure I will hate it! And enough and more people have told me that Singapore is fabulous over the last 15 years for me to be highly sceptical. Is that a good enough reason? :)
Seriously though, I accept that it’s a pretty good place – its clean, safe, disciplined etc etc. The humid weather freaks me out but I really do understand why people would like it. But as S aptly put it, it’s a place that is frustratingly predictable! And I think what that means is that we like a little (or a lot!) of chaos and randomness in our lives which is something that’s missing in Singapore. And that’s why I find it boring, and that’s my reason #2.
Am I coming off as someone difficult to please? Or one of those people who go to Agra and deliberately do not visit the Taj Mahal, because hey, that’s what all the tourists do? :)
The one reason I’d live in Singapore? It’s a truly fantastic base for exploring Southeast and East Asia. Give us 3 years and I promise there won’t be a country we don’t visit :)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. ha ha ....I don't think so....I just moved cities, remember? :)

      Delete
  2. I have always thought Singapore is an ideal place to stay - good exchange rates, good economy, close to India yet a safe distance away. And a lot of comfortable Indian-ness in first world infrastructure and comfort. See, I am a conformist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and everyone else, Yuvika! Actually the exchange rate is not so favourable now. And it's terribly expensive. I'm sure its a lovely place to live in :)

      Delete
  3. LOL.. I had very similar views about Singapore ;). Loved how well the touristy things were arranged, but did not quite feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High-five! :) Cant pinpoint the being uncomfortable part...maybe like sanjay said, I just like lot of dirt and chaos around me all the time :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)