Kids

Kids

Saturday 22 June 2013

Choices

Several days after we had moved to Bangalore, Ads casually remarked that he liked Bangalore much more than Gurgaon. I asked him why. The pleasant weather? The large flat? The open spaces? His own room? His own bunk bed? The prospect of an extra-long summer break? For a 7-yo, there were reasons aplenty!
Instead, the brevity and simplicity of his answer took my breath away.
No, he said. I like Bangalore because you play with me here.
I was staggered. Probably I had hoped that he hadn't noticed? That I had not played with the most important people in my life for the past year. I hadn't gotten myself messy and hot and tired, laughed at silly jokes, and run around with them. I hadn't had the time to play board games. I hadn't had the energy to read books every night. In fact, while I was trying to keep it all together as a single working parent, I had done nothing more than the bare minimum of attending to their basic physical and emotional needs.
I had been a good mom, but only just. Certainly, I hold myself upto very high standards of customer service (!) when it comes to being a mother/parent. Last year, I had a tough time achieving my targets :(
No guilt-tripping here, no remorse etc (I don't do those). Just the increasingly loud voice in my head, getting more confident by the day, which is pulling me in a certain direction and towards certain choices. I can't ever be a stay-at-home mom (it's nice now, it's only been a couple of months but soon I am going to be pulling out my hair in large handfuls!) but I don't see a full-time career happening for a few more years yet. Not unless my parents decide to move in with me and give me a hand (Amma and Appa, are you listening? :))
It's that time again when well-meaning people begin to ask me when I am getting back to work, me having exhausted my relocation excuse, having had my summer holiday and having the kids back at school. I don't know, folks. My daughter's back home from school at 12.30. We have a leisurely lunch. We talk about what we did at school/home. Amma, you're sooo lucky to be at home, she says! We nap. I kiss her about a million times. We wake up. I have chai. We pick up a grubby older brother from the bus stop. Hectic activity ensues. Tennis class, music class, homework, park, bath, dinner. Sleep. It's humdrum but it's beautiful.
I will start getting out and talking to people and see if some work on my terms, comes up. I'm going to keep my career going, but I won't be driven crazy-busy by it.
Just so long as I can play with my kids!

11 comments:

  1. 'Well-meaning folks' have no business to ask such questions, am sure you know what your priorities are. Been reading your blog for a year now, and I think you've a very involved parent. But there's only 24 hours a day... Nice to know the kids are loving B'lore! And you'll are having a good time together. Wish you luck on the work front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiling at Ads answer..the plate is always full one way or the other, it's upto us to choose which one, I guess and it's a very tough and personal decision. I wish life was as simple as a buffet, but then I'm confused at a buffet too :-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure dear we would love to help you.Let's see.....................

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nodding my head to this :).. The very reason why I refused to get into a full-time career again (at the time when someone would have actually given me a job ;))... I knew I was not the kind to do it ALL, and have some energy left over. Happy with my choices, I think that's the best that anyone can ask for ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, aparna and I am firmly endorsing that PoV as something that works for me as well....maybe in a few years things may be different...

      Delete
  5. What a sweet post, Aparna! Glad to know you and your kids are enjoying your time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, might have an option for you that could be on your terms and a good contribution.

    There's nothing like a few months off in the middle of figuring things out, settling in. Still have to do the meet up - soonish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for the meetup!
      Now you have me curious - about the 'option'!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, might have an option for you that could be on your terms and a good contribution.

    There's nothing like a few months off in the middle of figuring things out, settling in. Still have to do the meet up - soonish!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)