Kids

Kids

Thursday 4 October 2012

Monitoring screen time

People are constantly amazed when they hear about the minsicule screen time my kids have. These discussions invariably happen in the company of friends and neighbours who are moaning about how much TV their kids watch, how they are addicted to video games/ipad/Wii/PSP and the computer. I am constantly being told about how video games and the like will take over my kids' life real soon. Just wait till Ads/Y are a little older and they will be addicted to XYZ, I hear.
Well, I really don't think so! IMHO, I have laid a pretty strong foundation of limited screen time (especially TV) and on top of that, I can be quite the harridan of a mother. Yes, a strong word, isn't it?! There's space for only one nag in the family and I get to wear that crown in ours. I'm confident that the kids will toe my line for atleast a few more years.
I admit I am surprised (not in a nice way) about the amount of TV even toddlers watch. I had it drilled into my head ever since my early mothering days that kids under 2 should not watch any TV and kids over 2 and under 6 can watch an hour or two hours at the most. Having rigorously followed this dictum, I now find myself in the middle of a virtuous circle where Ads and Y (now aged almost 4 and 7) rarely ask for TV, having never got into the habit of sitting in front of the idiot box. Our TV is quite literally the idiot box - it stands dumb and silent most days!
What they do watch is a couple of cartoons a week (maybe half an hour of Chota Bheem). Ads is now hooked onto Animal Planet and NatGeo Wild videos (both on YouTube and TV) and he does a couple of sessions during the week on days when he has no tennis class or homework. This amounts to 2-3 hours a week at the most. He shuns the ipad and reluctantly uses it for an hour or so over the weekend, working on a math app that I have downloaded. Y is much more of an ipad aficionado. I’ve found it very useful to teach her numbers, alphabets and now some basic spelling using some of the awesome apps available. 

In consequence of such limited screen time, I find that the children have a lot of time to do other things - get out into the fresh air, run around and play, go cycling or scootering, draw, paint and craft, go for tennis and music class; also fight, make-up, cry, scream and yell as kids will! When I am working (after they get back from school, I tend to have some calls and such) and unable to give them my time or attention, I'm content that they aren't in front of the TV but doing something a lot more productive involving working with their hands or engaging with a real person instead of an animation.
Not watching TV myself has been a boon in this regard. My kids may complain that Amma spends a lot of time working on her laptop, but they never complain that I plonk myself in front of the TV! S has been trying to get Ads to watch some sports with him but he isn't very keen, so we haven't pressed him.

Ads still can't switch on or operate the TV/remote on his own and I don't bother to teach him! The first time he saw a Wii was during the summer, in Chennai at a friend's place. I'm far from being tech-hater or technophobe; I have seen first hand the learning that can happen through tech tools. In any case, learning today is far more interactive than it was two decades ago and it would be foolish to deprive our kids some of the tools that are available today. The operative word being some. 
As in everything else about parenting, decisions about screen time and technology also need to be thoughtful and reasonable. Moderation seems to have yielded good results so far. I'm sure as they grow older, they will want to watch more TV. Ads seems to have a liking already for Masterchef Australia! :)

19 comments:

  1. Wow! I am a mother of an 2 year old girl. I always get the brunt of grandparents and others about not using the TV at all till she was 2. Its an easy evil. I have been tempted several times especially when I am alone with her and sick. It isnt easy. But I dont like to see little couch potatoes too.
    Now I allow 30 mins of TV (only Cbeebies) spread across the day in periods of 15 mins each.
    She can entertain herself alone and with me and other people better this way I feel.
    Moderation is the key I guess. I have found inspiration in you now :) I am not alone in this.
    Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sirisha. WElcome here! I'm so glad u keep your daughter away from TV though it is very very tempting to use it as a babysitter. I've done it myself. But in the long run, we are all better off without the idiot box.

      Delete
  2. Howdy Aps - really good - am glad to see that they don't watch much TV. It used to be zero TV for KB almost till he turned four. Then slowly it went up. Now they watch two PBS shows every day when they have their after school lunch. Some days even three shows. All good stuff but still one hour a day avg is too much but am just letting it go. I end up eating and making tea for myself/mom or FIL etc in that time. But on days they do ipad or comp, no tv. There is that window of time they use for either TV or ipad. But they don't have any video games - we must the only prehistoric creatures in our circle to not own any video games - I almost feel nervous that I have not exposed them to it. There is one basketball game on the ipad that KB plays occasionally. I too keep hearing about how they will soon get into the thick of video games. Figured until they get there, this is good. I am glad that Ads and Y rarely watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its harder in the US NOT to have TV isn't it. Here the doorbell constantly rings, friends are a phone call away and if nothing else the kids chat to the maids :) There's tons of free entertainment around! Having said that, I know so many moms who send their kids to some class or the other every single day. Why? because otherwise they just sit at home and watch TV!

      Delete
  3. That's great, Aparna! I wish there was a easy way to reduce my kids from watching TV. But now it's become either TV or I involved them in any activity and so I have to constantly plan stuff for them to do after school. Ads can't operate the TV on his own, I so like that! Video games are still a no-no, thank God. I'd be interested in knowing apps for spellings and Maths. I used starfall for Big G but my little one is not too taken up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I'll send u some apps which I use. I use a 2nd grade maths app for ads, I have a lot more which I downloaded for Y.

      Delete
  4. I have been on both sides of the fence.. TV/videos are an easy option to engage children but limit their creativity. But now for the past 2 years, we have restricted TV time for my daughter too ... it could be from zero time on weekends if she doesn't ask for it to watching a movie on the computer on weekends.Also we monitor what she watches... many parents think anything on cartoon channels is fit for kids to watch, but it is not. I find some cartoons/shows on these channels not fit for children to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I haven't watched the popular shows on kids channels (apart from chota bheem) but I am told they are not great.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I've also kept R away from the T.V. but he can get addicted to the rhymes on the comp. But, I've streamlined that viewing too. Most kids of R's age rattle about chota bheem and ben10 and the likes but I'm proud that R has no idea about them.
    Can relate to the Amma on the comp part. R might also complain that I spend too much time on the comp but I'm sure he cannot say the same about the idiot box :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good going uma.
      Sometimes'I'm a little worried what Ads watches on youtube - so make sure I am around when he is watching.
      Keep R away from the cartoons as long as you can!

      Delete
  6. Hey Aps - what apps are good? For both kids...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear there is a home where the TV is silent most of the time .. I hate the idiot box's sound especially early in the morning ..
    Even if it is religious songs and discourses being played ..
    My nephew has been trained the same way by sis .. He does art n craft or is content playing, listening to books being read out ..
    People who complain about kids watching a lot of TV are the ones who are reluctant to engage the kids themselves with constructive activities .. When you find it more convenient to let them watch TV without bothering you, then you naturally face the consequences!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear about your nephew aarthy.
      Though sometimes its too hard NOT to use the TV...I've done it myself when i was too exhausted to engage my kid(s) constructively..still, I feel the effort is worth it.

      Delete
  8. That is so good to hear! I am constantly hearing about people whining about their kids watching way too much TV or spending too much time on their ipads. But when their parents themselves see their ipads or TVs as the only way of entertainment after work, is it any wonder that their kids will too?

    That said, there is peer pressure also, right? My friend watches 2 hours of TV every day, shouldn't I, too? That type? How do you deal with that.

    PS: I have no personal experience of dealing with kids watching or not watching TV yet. Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I donno TGND. I've never faced that question from either of my kids even though they do have friends who watch TV, play video games etc etc.
      Sorry cannot help you :))

      Delete
  9. No, actually when they've had little time in front of the box and a lot away from it, they don't ask for more as they grow older. We have an one hour a week thing here, linked to their rooms being clean in the morning when they leave for school...mostly not, so they themselves don't ask. The first week of the link up, they worked for it like crazy and then plonked themselves with a lot of entitlement! :-D

    We do pick some shows on science and nature and give it to them because learning visually is pretty awesome. And sports is something we watch as a family, a tournament here and there...mostly cricket but with my dad's interest, they watch golf and tennis there.

    Most of the time, the fight is about coming home from play later. And then playing a game together...lately it is carrom and after 10 days of carrom everyday, they're beating our pants off some days! :-D

    The iPad's okay, it is great for learning but seriously not for the sensory component for little kids. We allow the kids chess, tic-tac-toe and stuff...another 10 minutes a week type thing! The math races were great for fast math/multiplication tables getting reinforced.

    They're not asking for what their friends are watching. And they're 8 and 9 now. I think we just might fend this off for longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah...that's so good to hear!
      The crowning glory was when I allowed my son to watch 20 mins youtube yesterday afternoon. Previously he had also asked if he could watch NatGeo wild in the evening after dinner (I'd said yes). He came back from playing, and announced to the world at large "I watched youtube today. So no TV at night!!"

      Delete
  10. Yoohooo :).. Trying my luck with blogspot once again, and will at least stick to the reading part this time !!

    I was nodding my head to literally every line in this post. We went through a "too much" TV phase, and are not at a "No TV" phase :). Hoping to make that a "watch constructive programs only" phase, but even now the kids are allowed to watch the occasional animated movie, or even other movies if appropriate. Harridan - so the word for me too ;).

    And catching up on your earlier posts too, happy yoga/exercising - I am exactly in the same mode - not yet called a polar bear but now i wonder if that's what that additional hugging from my kids is all about ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so you are a harridan too - happy to hear that!
      I'm sure you are super-fit what will all the gardening you are doing. Doesn't it involve a lot of bending, pulling and lifting? :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)