Kids

Kids

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Countdown to the summer break

The countdown to the annual summer jaunt, Chennai-side, has begun. The children are terribly excited - 4 weeks of being spoilt silly, and no mother to monitor sweet/chocolate consumption, TV-watching, hand-washing, nose-picking and dental hygiene! I am going to be around in Chennai as well, but I will be working, and whatever free time I get I'd rather hang out with the few friends I still have in that city :)
This year, we are experimenting with leaving the kids behind in Chennai for just over a week (with my parents), while I fly back to Delhi just in time for my wedding anniversary. I don't know how they will fare without me (rather well, I suspect!) and how I will manage without them (I assume I will run the gamut of emotions from happy/footloose, to bored, to terribly unhappy without my little monsters!).
The first thing Ads asks me every morning is "How many more days to go to Chennai?"
I say "14" or whatever the number is.
Ads will then ask "And how many school days?" :)
We got lucky with the weather in April - it stayed cool for the most part and we had a lot of thunderstorms. May has been more like summer - baking and HOT HOT HOT. I know summer is finally here when I have to skulk in the shade while waiting to pick up the kids from the bus-stop, when the heat presses down on me from down and above and sideways until I go light-headed with the pressure.
Here we come - from the fire into the frying pan (Delhi is way hotter than Chennai!)

13 comments:

  1. aah...exciting days ahead, looks like.
    and when's the anniversary? what plans?? (I can be nosey at times)
    and am waiting for your trip too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anniv is on 8th JUne...no major plans re..we will probably do the stuff we can never do with the kids around - see a play or concert, catch a new movie, go to chandni chowk - stuff like that.
      Being the planner that I am, I will have the plan all sketched out by the time i meet you - ask me then :)

      Delete
  2. Chennai is damn hot too and is reeling from power cuts. These are the times when you wished the folks stayed in Ooty or some such place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess...btw in-laws stay in Poes garden - there are no power cuts there thanks to AMMA :)

      Delete
  3. Wow - what fun! I so wish I had a home base in India! Any place - hot or cold - is OK!
    Sure helps to be in the same city as AMMA!
    Have a super super time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, noon....am going to go to bangalore as well...quite excited.

      Delete
  4. finally i happy when someone says chennai is better than some other city.. so happy anniversary too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I've got to reading this sooo late ! Anyway, hope to catch up in person soon, and you can tell me how humid Chennai heat fared compared to dry Delhi :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time at your site, and love it.
    Happy anniversary.
    I am sure you just hopped from a fire to another fire ! Chennai is simply unbearable now - the hottest it has been in many years, it seems.
    Oh well !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LG!!! Yup chennai is very hot and humid. I spent the last few days in Bangalore and loved it!! Back to the fire now :£

      Delete
  7. Belated anniversary wishes! :)

    I just read this post. Judging by your latest post, the 'separation' seems to have gone quite well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)