Kids

Kids

Monday 5 April 2010

A new beginning in a new school

Butterflies in my stomach. That sinking feeling of wanting to throw up. A dull heavy ache in my heart. These are the uncomfortable sensations I have been carrying around inside me for the last week. All because, come the 5th of April, Ads starts a new school year in a new unfamiliar school. 
I visited the school twice to purchase the regulation uniforms and books. I labelled his backpack, read the circulars several times and kept hammering into Ads' head that his new session was approaching. In the midst of all the hectic unpacking, purchasing and "settling in', I also found the time to sufficiently agitate myself, wondering how Ads would handle the new environment and how I could ease the whole transition process. 
Silly me forgot that a) This is Ads' third school in two years and therefore he should be able to handle the pressure of a new environment b) He is not a 3-year old any more c) Children are far more resilient than we give them credit for, and definitely more so than paranoid mothers think.
It turned out that I had tied myself into knots for...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! The sense of relief is overwhelming. He woke up this morning, proudly wore his new uniform and marched off to school with me and S. His class teacher seems nice. He only needed to stay for two and a half hours today and for the next two weeks (they increase the school day to four hours after two weeks) and when I went to pick him up, he was happy and well-fed, having gulped down some rice and a glass of milk. His class teacher told me he is a very "good" and "obedient" child.
I suppose mothers have to keep reminding themselves that their children have grown up!   
Here are some snapshots of the little fella in his uniform and in his classroom.


3 comments:

  1. Ta da.. I don't want to say told ya. :) BUT I DID!!!!!!!
    Good luck to Ads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Institutionalized :).

    He looks very cute in the uniform tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. life_refactored: indeed u did :) and i am sooo glad that u were right!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)