Kids

Kids

Sunday 27 September 2009

A favourite festival

The title of this post reminds me of the essays we had to write in school. My favourite things. My hobbies. And yes, my favourite festival, too! Navarathri has in recent years attained the status of my favourite festival, although as I was growing up, it didn't hold a special place in my heart. My mother didn't keep a "Golu" (probably she would have if I had shown the slightest interest!) and the whole pattu-pavadai, paattu and socialization business simply left me cold. When I was married and living in Bangalore, I suddenly developed an interest in Golu (a spanking new apartment and a spare room contributed to this new-found interest!) and for 2 years I did keep a Golu. Here's a picture from the first year (2004).

Sadly, I had to give away my beautiful dolls when we relocated. This last week, I have been decking myself up in sarees and Y in her one-and-only paattu paavadai and we have been attending Golus. It has been a lot of fun. I have promised myself to reestablish a Navarathri celebration, complete with sundal and Golu, from next year.

1 comment:

  1. You did keep a cute golu in ur apartment in Chennai too ,remember? And we had lots of relatives& friends jfor manjal kumkum.Even the three pattis attended. And i kept golu for 2 yrs in Padmanabha nagar& we had lots of visitors. Ofcourse you were not interested then!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)